Tuesday 16 July 2013

Natural Hair Meet-up in Lagos


Hiya!

I attended a natural hair meet-up - Naturals in the City - on Saturday 6th July (see flyer below) in Ikoyi, Lagos, and this is just a brief review of the event. It was hosted by Natural Nigerian – www.naturalnigerian.comThis was the 6th edition of the program, and they are usually held every few months or so.




I’d previously been to one of these events, the 4th edition of the series last November. Then, Leila (my sister) and I got there quite late, after all the talks were over, but I was hugely impressed by the wide array of products available and how reasonable the prices were.

So I was really excited to attend this July edition, as I assumed it’d be even grander than the previous one. We got there much earlier than the last time, and were able to sit in on one of the talks. However, I found that there weren’t as many vendors as the last time, which was a bit disappointing. But I met so many wonderful women, and chatted with a few of them. I’ve never seen so many natural-haired women in one space at the same time, and it truly was a sight to behold :) There were tons of different hairstyles; updos, twists, afros, braidouts. It really was fantastic.

I’d strongly recommend this event for all ladies in Lagos. Fair enough, the majority of the attendees were kinky curly girls like me. But as long as you have hair, whether it’s natural, relaxed, tex-laxed (learnt this term on the day), there’s something there for you.

For the natural-haired girls, apart from the fact that it’s a one-stop shop for all your natural hair needs, it’s also a great way to meet other naturals in the city. Sometimes it’s easy to feel alone because no one understands your hair talk, or cares about your hair journey. This event is a sort of haven where you can recharge your batteries, ready to face the world again, knowing that there are tons of other people in your shoes.

See below for pictures.


Natural Nigerian










Hi! :) Gotten from the Natural Nigerian website.

Knotty by nature,
Faridah

No comments:

Post a Comment