Monday 1 July 2013

The bridesmaid hair dilemma

Hey hey,
So yesterday was the wedding of my dearest darlingest brother. Was an amazing day and I had an awesome time. Prior to the wedding however I had a natural hair dilemma, a bridesmaid dilemma. 

No weaves for me please
So the bride had picked our lovely dresses and the hairstyle we were meant to aim for (see pic below). So my lovely naturalistas you can imagine the look on my face when I realised my kinky curly naps can most definitely not pull that look off. The only way round it was to do a weave. Here's some context for you. In the 2 years I have been natural I have never: done braids, had a weave or even blow dried my hair actually I have never used heat on my hair. Prior to going natural I have only ever had a weave once for a week when darling Faridah and Dami...... well lets say it was peer pressure and considerable force. I didn't like it and it came straight off at the weekend loool.
So I nicely apologised to my sister-in-law and explained that I wasn't going to do a weave but would try to do something similar. Then the search began for a wedding complaint down-do. 

The search for a wedding compliant down-do
I started off simple. I googled natural wedding styles, the majority of them were up-dos,braids or dreads. They were very very few down-dos. After much struggling and getting frustrated I found a few (see pic) and realised I had wasted my time googling down-dos. Reality hit. I was going to have to leave home at 9:30am and probably wouldnt be back till well past mid-night. This was my brother's wedding, I was going to be mingling with family I hadnt seen in a while, caught up in the emotions of the day and not want to miss a single moment of my big bro's big day. So exactly when was I going to run off to the loo to give my hair a second glance. Let's be real here my hair if left out all day would have turned into dry candyfloss by the evening and would look like a dry sponge.. not exactly the look am going for. I figured no wonder they are all up-dos. Anything else, unless your the bride who gets to run off to be touched-up every now and then isnt feasible. Thought wow ok so no weave, no down-do, well was going to look very different to everyone. O well .


The search for a wedding compliant up-do
Decided that an up-do was my best choice. It would keep my hair up and out of my face, i wouldnt have to fuss or check on it thus was convenient. Would keep my hair moist, healthy and protected. It could look beautiful and elegant. So it really was a no brainer. The search was on again for a lovely, elegant, wedding compliant up-do. These were some of my faves. 

The final decision
At the end of the day I settled for a good old puff. Could have done a bun but for some reason on the day I decided I wanted a puff and I accessorised it with a yellow flower and some screw in pearls that I picked up from Claire's accessorises though you cant really see the pearls in this pic..

Here's a treat for you. My lovely bro, his stunning new wife and the bridal party. 
Kinks and Curls,
Feyi

No comments:

Post a Comment